Back from the Brink: The Call to Prevent Nuclear War is a national grassroots initiative seeking to fundamentally change US nuclear weapons policy and lead us away from the dangerous path we are on. The Call lays out five common-sense steps that the United States should take to reform its nuclear policy. WE are asking individuals and organizations around the country to endorse The Call and build support for the US government to adopt it as its highest national security priority. Join the effort and help build a safer world for our children to inherit.
We call on the United States to lead a global effort to prevent nuclear war by:
1. Renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first
2. Ending the sole, unchecked authority of any US president to launch a nuclear attack
3. Taking US nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert
4. Cancelling the plan to replace its entire nuclear arsenal with enhanced weapons
5. Actively pursing a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armed sates to eliminate their nuclear arsenals.
The Back from the Brink campaign was initiated by Physicians for Social Responsibility and is supported by the Union of Concerned Scientists, American Friends Service Committee, Massachusetts Peace Action and other organizations.
Encourage your town meeting or city council, community organization or religious congregation to endorse Back from the Brink, as have the State of California and many communities across the country.